It's just not enough

Argh... I'm working on my Noro Chirimen jacket, and I've just realized that I'm not going to have enough yarn to finish it. Sigh. I hate it when this happens.

There are a couple of frustrating things about this:

1) The obvious. I'm not going to get it done, and I won't get it done until I can get into the city to find another two balls of it.
2) This yarn has been a huge disappointment from the start, and I can't help but think that I would have had a much better experience with another yarn.
3) I hate having unfinished projects lying around.

I bought this based on all the hype and positive talk about Noro, mainly about their Silk Garden. I thought, well, this is Noro, it's beautiful, it's got great colourways, why not?

I've discovered that Chirimen is an over-priced disappointment. It shreds, falls apart, and it's absolutely full of knots. Of course, I discovered THOSE reviews after I started working with it.

I went to the Noro website and found this on their "About Us" section:
The basic principle for NORO Yarn is "Spin yarn by hand" Use machinery only for what cannot be done by hand. This hand-spun yarn is made from finely dyed wool,lined faithfully according to color and weight, carefully maintaining the slow spinning speed by our crafts persons. Since the human hand is used in the spinning process, the natural luster and texture are obtained without considerably impairing the wool fiber. Lining up the yarn by hand results in irregular arrangement of wool, thereby giving the yarn more bulk. The features of the NORO Yarn are lightness. softness and loftiness. Please view the thickness of our yarn as an average value. Because it is a handmade yarn with raw materials being weighed and lined by human hands, thera are areas that are thick and areas that are thin. There are areas where the strand is tight and where the strand is loose, so please knit gently and discover the joy of knitting NORO yarns.
You know, there is plenty of handspun yarn out there that is of absolutely perfect quality. Granted, Chirimen is at a cheaper price point, but really, I paid $10.95 for 75m. Surely, I should get a better quality yarn for that
price.

About the knots:
Unlike other yarn. handmade NORO Yarn cannot be continuously spun without knots. Spun yarn is finished by rolling up at aboute 80-90 grams.
Then the yarn is knotted together in a ball or hank. Please understand that in some cases, there may be a knot or two in your ball or hank of handspun NORO Yarn.

A knot or two? I found knots within the first 10 inches of the ball. That is just silly.

So, my problem here is that I want to finish this project, but I'm not liking it. I want to like it. I want to feel the normal pride and happiness that I feel when I finish something. I think I will, but this will be a difficult one to get through.

Argh.

Comments