Could I Spin?

I've been toying with the idea of learning how to spin over the past few months, ever since I went to Alaska. I keep seeing all of the incredible handspun there is out there, AND all the incredible roving as well.

From what I understand, roving is the fleece that has been cleaned, carded and then made into strips, ready to be fed onto a spindle. I'm especially interested in trying out a drop spindle. It's simplicity is really attractive to me, and I like the idea of being able to bring it with me to different parts of the house. Who knows? If I get brave enough, it may accompany me to a coffee shop somewhere!

In my web travels to learn about spinning, I came across a blog by Wind Rose Fiber Studio, in Chandler, Arizona. There are lots of posts about spinning, and I appreciate the stories and personal touch there is to each entry. And, lo and behold, they have an Etsy shop! And wow - was I amazed. It was the first time I'd ever seen soy silk roving anywhere.


It looks like hair, doesn't it? It made me think of Rapunzel, and how it might be like to spin silky smooth hair. What kind of yarn could that become?

Needless to say, my head is now spinning with all of the possibilities. The selection of roving in this shop is certainly helping to fuel the ideas! Here's an unusual colour I haven't seen before - pewter!


I might start off with the Dye Your Own Merino Gift set, an inexpensive kit of dyes, roving and instructions that could help me get over those early kinks of learning to dye my own stuff.


The longer I look at the shop, the more I see how reasonable the prices are, which, for me as a novice, is really, really attractive.

And, the best part? They ship to Canada! Hurray! That alone really makes my day!

I'm tingling with the possibilities!

Comments

Jenn said…
Thank you so much for the lovely feature!
kibbles said…
Good luck with your spinning adventure!! I never knew what roving was & was always too nervous to ask or even get close to that section of the store. LOL Can't wait to see your first skein! Do post it on Ravelry! Take care!