I'm thoughtful. I'm just not organized.

Every year, I try to be organized for the Christmas holidays. I buy little things here and there, make little gifts here and there, and then then squirrel them away for later on so that I don't have to do a bunch of emergency shopping during the holiday season.

This year, I collected up a bunch of things for gifts, as early as August, in fact. I made it to September and said, "Well, all I need to get now is a gift for my dad and for my husband, and to knit the gift for my mom." And so, knowing my staff discount at work would kick in during the month of November, I sat back, looked smug, and relaxed.

And then, this last week of November rolled around, and I realized I actually am not as organized as I thought.

I forgot about the four children that will come to visit me this year, as their family has every year, and how last year, my mom had to dig out some of her "emergency presents" to give them (now that's an organized woman).

I forgot about my friend of over 10 years that was my matron of honour at my wedding (don't worry, I'm pretty sure she doesn't know about this blog), and how she remembers my birthday, and how she always comes to visit at Christmas.

I'm hoping I haven't forgotten anyone else.

I know - I've got lots of time yet. It's just that I hate rushing around at the last minute, digging meaningless things out of bins at the shops just for the sake of having gifts. I find it quite pleasant to know that I've chosen things that people might like. And really - I hate a crowded shopping mall!

I ran down to the gift shop at work today and exercised my holiday staff discount and got a few things for the children. Nice things, actually - stuff they'll probably keep for a long time, like a height chart that doubles as a stuffed toy! Aha!

And then, on the way home, I remembered this skein of Louet Gems Sport I bought a few weeks ago when I went into the city for some yarn.


I intended to mix it with another skein to make some Norwegian-style mittens, but well, mittens, shmittens - that kind of fell by the wayside when I found a few shawl patterns I liked! But I think that this black yarn will make a lovely hooded cowl, like the Reverse Rib Neckwarmer from Sqwish. I think that would do nicely for a gift for my friend, and it should knit up relatively quickly. Besides, it'll give me an excuse to use these pretty little buttons I just got from buttonsgalore!


So that means, all I have to do is finish my current project, knit a sweater for my mom, and then knit the neckwarmer. Hmm, four weeks right? Uh oh...

In other news, I feel like I've gained a few pounds this week. Time to get my butt in gear and get exercising again. It's awful to have a couple of weeks of illness and weariness to knock me off the wagon. Besides, I've just bought a pair of boots that I hope will fit over my rather womanly calves. Yep - time to get to work in lots of ways!

Comments