The Giggly Octopus and her Yummy Cards

There's this crazy girl I met at work a few years ago. She laughs a lot, smiles a lot and knows the value of a good meal. That's my kind of people. And she used to live in my basement.

She's always been interested in photography. When she was living with us, I had an Etsy shop and was selling my handmade jewelry. One of the hardest and most time-consuming parts of maintaining an online shop is getting good quality images of your products which attract the eye at various sizes. And I thought, well - how about I get the girl in the basement to take my photos for me?

And she did a fantastic job.

During the hours she spent snapping photos and adjusting lighting, she shared with me her dreams of pursuing a career in photography... maybe owning her own shop one day, taking people on photography tours. But, like many people, she felt it couldn't be a reality, that it was the stuff of dreams.

Nay, said I. It is possible. And we talked about all sorts of things she could do to make her dreams come true.

She moved back to Japan, and shortly afterward, she sent me an email, and told me that living with me changed her life.

I tell you, I am a marvel *grin*. And I'm so touched that she told me that. It is such a relief to know that there are others who believe in the creative dream.

Since then, she has moved back to Canada (with her PR card clenched in her hand) and is cultivating her talent in photography. She and recently started making hand-bound books of some of her fantastic images, one of which was purchased by me.




She is also selling some of her images as postcards at her website: yummycardcompany.com

Here is an excerpt from her About Me section:

Once upon a time, there lived a giggly octopus under the beautiful sea. She traveled to a place called badlands one day and fell in love with the place. She met a butterfly in the badlands and fell in love with him, too! She wanted to spend an eternity there, but it wasn't her home. She had to go home to her beautiful sea --- and this is why I take pictures.

Please go and visit the giggly octopus and peruse her images. It's a magical place.

Comments

Yumi said…
Colin just showed me that you wrote about me on your website! Thank you, thank you! My book looks really cool in your pictures :p
Yes, you truly inspire me always. I need to hang out with you more now that I'm back here! Thank you for being such a good friend!!
AdrieneJ said…
I'm so glad you stopped by! I kept meaning to tell you I'd written about it, but I just kept forgetting! Talk soon!