How to Make a Bowtie For Your Dog

I'm sitting in the bedroom at my parents' house, awaiting the hordes of people who will be arriving shortly to partake in the feast that is cooking in the kitchen. I've been cleaning and organizing, but generally trying not to eat too much and to get outside for fresh air and walks with my doggie as much as possible.

Rascal has a Santa suit, which I think is darn cute, but he is not so thrilled about it, as you can see.

Add the fact that my parents' house is really warm most of the time, and it's just not a good time for the little wolf.

So, this year, I decided to get out some red yarn and make him a bowtie to wear on Christmas Day. And, he doesn't seem to mind it at all. In fact, he doesn't even know he's wearing it. It also happens to go well with the tuxedo he wears all year round.

Here's how I made it (images are from the TLC Home Website):

1) With 5mm (size 8) dpns, or with a 5mm hook, make an i-cord that is long enough to pass over your dog's head when the ends are joined. Cut the working yarn and use a darning needle to pass it through the live loops. I prefer to make i-cords using a crochet hook, as seen here. Sew the ends together to make a circle that will go over your dog's head.

2) With 5mm (size 8) needles, cast on 15 stitches. Knit a rectangle that is 3 inches long, ending with a RS row. Turn, and purl the first 8 stitches. With the needles still in the work, fold the rectangle with the right sides together and the needles at the top, with the points facing right.

3) Use a third needle to perform a three-needle bind-off. Cut the working yarn with an 8-inch tail.
4) Use a darning needle and the tail and sew up the long side using a mattress stitch, first turning the work right-side out before you start.



5) Seam the other end using a horizontal seam for stockinette stitch.

6) Using your 5mm needles, cast on a 7 stitches for a new rectangle. Knit a skinny rectangle, about 2 inches in length, or long enough to wrap around the centre of the first rectangle. This is the centre "knot" for the bowtie. Bind off the end leaving another 8 inch tail.

7) Wrap this skinny rectangle around the centre of the first rectangle, pinching the centre to create a crease. Use a darning needle to sew the ends together with the tail. Do not trim the tail.

8) Use the tail to sew the bow to the i-cord. You may need to flatten the i-cord a bit and sew each edge to the tie to keep it from being floppy.

9) Put it on your dog and take lots of pictures of him being cute.

I know I really shouldn't be dressing my dog... but come on!

Have a Happy Holiday season!

Comments

Joanne said…
Thanks for dropping by my blog and sharing your good times with friends! I hope you really enjoy Fiber Gathering! :) Thanks for telling me about it.
Anonymous said…
he looks very handsome!
Unknown said…
So handsome!! And he totally knows it!! :D
AdrieneJ said…
@StephCat @dkzack: I can't help but think about how much he looks like a waiter. Or a professor. :)