And Another...

I found these things on my table today. I think you call them knitting needles.

Now that the Tour de Fleece is over, I find myself struggling to go back to my needles to actually knit something. Those last few days were the first time in the long time that I didn't have needles in my hand because I was so busy spinning. Now, I have a terrible battle on my hands: spin or knit?

Part of my problem is that my yarn stash is already overflowing, and I really need to knit some of this stuff up into something before it overwhelms my house. That might not sound like a problem to a lot of knitters, but as much as I love knitting, I hate to have this stuff just sitting there whilst I while away my time on other things. On the other hand, I also have a big pile of fleece to be spun, and I don't want to get out of practice.

Note: This isn't even half of it!

When your hobby becomes a burden, does that mean it's officially an obsession? Is that such a bad thing?

The good thing is that I haven't felt any need to make any purchases of yarn whatsoever for a while. Yep, savin' my cash, that's me.

Well, I'm sorta lying. I did buy a new spindle from Windrose Fiber Studio. Wait, wait, hear me out. I already own one of their spindles, and I decided to buy a third spindle because I figured that it would help me to spin faster. I have two top-whorl spindles right now. If I fill up one spindle, then I could set that aside and fill up the second spindle, and with a third spindle, I could ply those singles together, straight off the two others. That would save me the time it takes to take the yarn off the spindle to make it ready for more spinning. Time-saving, that's all I was thinking.

And well, since I was paying for shipping, I figured I'd buy 4 ounces of Blue Faced Leicester roving while I was at it. It was just more economical, you know.

I can stop whenever I want to. Really, I can.

Another thing that's holding me back is that I'm trying as much as possible to connect with other people online with similar interests. I comment on blogs and I look through Ravlery, Twitter, Plurk and, most recently, Google+ to find inspiration and to see what cool things people are up to. The problem with this, of course, is that it takes time away from what my needles.

I think, though, that I'd rather be busy meeting other people than be lonely with my needles. To all those I've chatted with recently, it's been to cool to find you! Here's to finding your tribe and getting to know them!

Comments

YarnKettle said…
Having different spindles is like having more than one set of needles, sometimes it just makes sense. As I understand it spindles have different applications and work with different fibers. Although your plan sounds very reasonable.
And if we are voting I say do what you feel like doing, if spinning is working right now go for it. If you want to throw in a day of knitting, you're the boss, it is all good.
Anonymous said…
Don't you love when you start finding your tribe? Nothing like it. Spin I say. I say this because I wouldn't have a clue how to and I can live vicariously through you :)
Linda said…
Collecting spindles is a good thing....seriously! knit or spin or do a bit of each every day.
AdrieneJ said…
I think I want to get one that spins for longer. I'm going to start saving my pennies for one!
Anonymous said…
I know this story. I've accumulated a stack of hobbies and I have a hard time deciding which to do. Because I recently fell into photography I pretty much stopped all manner of fiber craft. And to think, I got into photography to take better WIP and FO photos! I stopped the pics to TdF and then when I hit a roadblock, fell back on knitting these socks. And tomorrow I hope to sew. Sigh.