Limbo

Limbo - noun:
1) a place or state of restraint or confinement
2) a place or state of neglect or oblivion
3) an intermediate or transitional place or state
4) a state of uncertainty
That's the definition of limbo according to Merriam-Webster. So, how come there's a dance called the Limbo that involves bending backward and moving under a stick? Hmm?

Anyway, I'm in a knitting limbo right now. Stuff is moving very, very slowly, thanks to the fact that I'm training for a 10K and working on my health issues. It's all been very, very hard work. Combine that with the hot, sultry, lazy evenings, and my hobbies have had to take a back seat most of the time.

It's a shame, really, because I keep coming up with these neat ideas for projects, and I have such beautiful yarn to work with. If it weren't for the fact that I had to go to work, I'd be cranking projects out the wazoo.

And no, I don't know the definition for "wazoo."

The project that has been languishing in my bag is a pattern of my own creation for a cowl made from some Mirasol Tupa, which is a silk/merino blend yarn. Part of it is being made with this lovely cream colour which I'm attempting to knit with undulating, curvy leaves. I'm trying to work in some tendrils that will extend upward, like little vines with buds on them. I've been stuck at this place for a couple of weeks now, because I'm not really sure where to go next with it.


I'm not really a designer, but I absolutely, positively love dreaming about creating things. When I made jewelry, I'd lie awake at night, thinking of colour combinations, bead textures, cord lengths... glorious! This cowl has filled many an evening with daydreams.

Except, that's all it has amounted to so far.

This is not to say that I've been laying off the creative vibe. I keep seeing things I want to work on, things I want to create, things I want to make for myself. Last week, while visiting a friend in Vancouver, I went down to an area where there were a lot of East Indian shops. I was hoping to find some wrap skirts, but what I discovered was much better: saris.


And what amazed me was that I could buy this beautiful fabric from $8 each. And there is at least 3 metres of fabric in each. You can't buy fabric at that price, especially jacquard prints and silks like this stuff is made from. My favourite so far is this silk sari, which I think I will keep as a sari and find some occasion to wear it... somewhere...



The rest are going to become skirts, I think. At least, that's the plan. I am looking into purchasing a presser foot for my sewing machine that will make a simple, rolled hem on each. I have a few wrap skirts that I can use as a pattern so that I can, in theory, make a bunch in the same fashion.

Except, I'm in limbo. And I have other fabric already that has also been waiting to be turned into skirts. So, what to do?

I suppose the first thing I should do is get off this computer and actually pick something up and work on it. Heh. You know, get up and do something.

Right. Here I go. Right now. Getting up, and picking up a project. Yep. 

But maybe I'll go get a popsicle first... yeah, that's that I need... then I'll get right on it. Tomorrow. Because it's getting late.

Sigh.

Comments