First Frost, and Fast

You are ice and fire,
The touch of you burns my hands like snow.

-- from Opal, by Amy Lowell
We're at that time of year when the weather all of a sudden changes. The mornings are chilly, and evenings are nippy, and even though I feel the need to shed my coat during my afternoon walks with Rascal, the fact that we can even walk in the afternoon without baking tells me that summer is over.

Last night, we had our first frost. I've been really neglecting the garden this summer, so my poor zucchini plants got bitten hard. I managed to rescue a few to have with dinner tonight, but I think the veggie bounty is over.

With strange timeliness, my latest project seems to fit the days perfectly. It's Boo Knits' Fragile Heart Shawl, which I knit with Dragonfly Dyewerx's BFL Sock Yarn in Cloudy Skies. The yarn fit the bill perfectly (and I'm not just saying that because my friend, Tara, dyed it). It's a light fingering weight, which was perfect for the delicate motifs throughout the pattern. Even though it's not a colour I would normally choose for myself, the subtle changes throughout added a depth of colour that I couldn't walk away from...

And since I bought it at Tara's house, well, it would have been rude to just walk away.

This is by far the quickest project I've worked on all year. I cast on, and bam, I was finished the first section and one repeat of the lace in one day.

Holy frack. IN ONE DAY!

The next day, I was halfway through the second repeat. As it grew in width, I slowed down, especially when I got to the point where I had to add more and more beads per row. Still... flash, bam, alakazaam, shawl done. It's a little hard to see the beads in these photos, and the sparkly glint is lovely, but man, beads are tedious. Good thing they're pretty.





And, ironically, my next project is a silk stole in a pattern called Hanami, inspired by cherry blossoms. I'm hoping that I haven't jinxed myself and that I'll get it done before spring, but time seems to be a strange thing these days... it slips away like drops of water on an icicle.

How poetic. I better quit while I'm ahead...

Comments

Rows Red said…
I have to say, I'm in love. How gorgeous!
AdrieneJ said…
She has some amazing patterns!
AdrieneJ said…
Thank you! I'm very pleased with it, and pleasantly surprised that the colour is so flattering.