Inspiration Mondays: Me/You

So, this is going to sound so egotistical, but today's inspiration is me. And by me, I don't mean ME me. I mean the concept of "me." I think we should talk about it.

There's really no one more important in the world than "me." You have to feed "me," clothe "me," and look after "me."

"Me" needs rest, fun, time to be with friends, time to be alone, lots of sleep, exercise, and things that make "me" happy.

My "me" likes yarn and vintage clothing and vintage kitchen stuff. It likes good food, and puzzles and making things. It likes to be around capable, competent, friendly, funny, caring people.

I'm talking about this because a lady in my Zumba class walked up to me and complimented me on my weight loss, and I gave her my standard response: "Thank you. It was a lot of work."

And it is a lot of work. It's like a second job. There is no two ways about it: this task is the hardest I've ever undertaken. I still go to bed some evenings tired and depressed, wondering if I should just give up.

But I haven't. And I hope I never do.

And I'm bringing this up because so many people have said to me, "Oh, my doctor/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend said I should exercise/sleep/save more, but when people tell me to do something, I just want to do the opposite."

Well, bully for you. You think you're winning somehow, but you're not. You're hurting "me" instead. And why would you do that?

I repeat: There is no one more important in the world than "me."

And some people are hiding pain in their hearts and minds, thinking that they are taking the burden off their loved ones by doing so. "I can handle this myself," they say. "I don't want anyone to have to deal with this."

And the truth is: We all deal with your pain sometime. Let's do it together, ok? Let's sit down and talk about "me" and not worry that we will run out of love for "me."

Because there is no one more important.

Go look in the mirror and check what "me" needs. And when you find it, please don't be afraid to ask for help with it. And when someone asks for help, find the best way to do it, and do it with kindess in your heart, because that's what your "me" would want.

Thanks.


Comments