The Dress That Mom Fixed

I found a dress in the closet while I was home visiting my parents over the holidays. I've had it since I was about 18, and it never really fit me all that well until now. I tried it on and was happy with the fit, but I wasn't all that keen on how long it was. It almost reached to my ankles, which, for someone who stands at 5'9", is a long dress by anyone's standards.

If you read my previous post about my latest clothing alteration adventure, you're probably thinking, "Put the scissors down, Adriene. You know you're gonna get into trouble." Luckily, I had my mom there, and she both approved of and supervised the cutting of the dress. Then, as I sat there holding a needle and thread looking at the hem looking uncertain, she gently took it from my hands and hemmed it by hand for me. It's great now.

This is the dress that Mom fixed.


I went out on Boxing Day and found a pair of boots. They were originally $180, but were marked down to $30, and my size 10 feet miraculously fit into these size 9 shoes, which were the largest pair they had.

These are the boots that go with the dress that Mom fixed.


While wandering around the antique mall in Johnston Terminal at the Forks Market in Winnipeg, I spied a hat I liked. I lifted it off the mannequin and tried it on three times before I decided I'd take it, even though it sort of makes me look like the Mad Hatter. The lady at the till lit up when she saw me walk toward her with it. "That's a cool hat," she said. "I never thought it looked so cool until I saw you walking up to me with it."

This is the Mad Hatter Hat that goes with the boots that go with the dress that Mom fixed.




I discovered a cool vintage store called Rhymes With Orange in Winnipeg and visited it the day I met up with my Winnipeg knitting friend, Linette. There, I found a teapot. I took it down from the shelf and dithered for ages about whether or not it should come home with me. Did I need another teapot? Would it last in my breakage-prone home? I looked at it longingly, I deliberated, then I decided it belonged with me.

This is the teapot that goes with the Mad Hatter Hat that goes with the boots that go with the dress that Mom fixed.


This is a teacup I found in a charity shop sometime last year that has sat lonely in my cupboard. It doesn't really go with anything else I have right now, but it was so sweet and such a lovely colour that I couldn't pass it up. Now that I have the teapot, though, they go together like peanut butter and jelly.


This is the cup that goes with the teapot that goes with the Mad Hatter Hat that goes with the boots that go with the dress that Mom fixed.


And this... this is just a crazy person. Tea time, my lovelies.

Comments

Unknown said…
Adorable hat and tea pot! And I LOVE the final picture!
AdrieneJ said…
That's how we have tea here at my house. You should know that, Tara. :)
Anonymous said…
A lovely teapot :) I hope you are well!
T.M. said…
You look wonderful in your outfit and I love the teapot and cup. Nothing like a good cuppa to make your day.
AdrieneJ said…
Thanks! And yes, I'm looking forward to a cuppa later on this afternoon.