A Wee Tour

They say that life has a tendency toward chaos. That must mean that putting our house in order is the most unnatural thing in the whole world. And that must explain why I am so tired: working against nature will do that to you.

I've learned a few things over the past few days:
  1. The first piece of tape you rip off the box is always the one trapped underneath all the other pieces of tape.
  2. I am way more uptight about the placement of furniture than I am willing to admit.
  3. You can cut a box spring to make it bend around corners, which is especially useful for bringing them upstairs. We learned how by watching this video.
  4. There's nothing like a spoonful of peanut butter to keep you going through a few more boxes.
Most of our stuff is unpacked and in order now, but the hardest part for me was trying to figure out where to put things in this new place. We were in a very different position with our last house, in that we moved in with very little furniture, and we were able to find bits and pieces that worked in that particular space. Bringing our things here was like trying to fit several large pieces into the completely wrong puzzle. I kept finding myself saying things like:

"I bet I could fit that in there if I tried."
"I wonder if I could find a basket in the dollar store for that."
"I'm having a look at kijiji for a new table."
"We've got a saw around here somewhere."
"I guess we don't need those anymore. How are we going to get rid of them?"

Yesterday was a great day, because all of a sudden, all of the pieces seemed to fit. I was super excited to find this basket and this old cheese box in a local vintage shop, which were perfect for blankets, my fabric cutting board,  and my shawls and scarves. They also help to hide the myriad of cables that go behind the tv stand.


I was even more excited to find the little trunk to the left in this photo.



The cushions make it look like an inviting seat, but it's not really for sitting. I'm using it to store my fabric. That little bit of cloth on the right is to keep it slightly ajar to let the fabric breathe.


We already owned the shelves next to the trunk. It is now where my little collection of vintage tea stuff lives:


And it's also where I am keeping all my cookbooks, as well as my fleece and roving for spinning:


And the phone table in the living room now has a yarn bowl, which was a wedding gift that sat in a dusty corner in the old house:


Our bedroom is large enough to house these bookshelves. This is what I wake up to each morning:


These are my two favourite shelves:


And the best bit? I get my OWN CLOSET.


Yeah, all my clothes fit in there, along with my vintage luggage collection, and what else? The rest of my yarn, naturally!


Cottons and laceweight on the top shelf:


Sock/fingering weight yarn on the second:


Alpaca and alpaca blends on the third:


Worsted/sweater yarns on the bottom:


Now that it's all in order, I feel like I can finally sit down and knit. Ahhh... it's like getting a nice, cool breath of fresh air into my weary, sore body.

But first, I'm taking a leaf out of Rascal's book and taking a well-deserved nap. Later, all!


Comments

YarnKettle said…
Wow you work so quickly! Your new place looks lovely.

I must admit to wanting a closer look at your tea shelf then I scrolled down and there it was.

Everything looks arranged perfectly. You would never know you had issues getting it to fix. It is a bit like playing a giant version of Tetris, isn't it?
AdrieneJ said…
Yes, it's like Tetris, but without the annoying music! And there are still a few things to sort out, like getting rid of a couple of dressers that we don't need now that we have so much closet space, but those are minor things. I'm so much more comfortable now!