Inspiration Monday: Three Words

So, apparently this is the week that everyone is supposed to be giving up on their New Year's Resolutions. I hate to admit it, but I kinda look forward to this time: it means that the gym and the pool will be back to normal and I can get my routine back on time (seriously, don't have chats on the equipment, dudes. It's just wasting everyone's time).  On the other hand, it's sad to think that people might be losing hopes in their dreams for this year. I don't like giving up, and I don't like other people to do it, either.

I came across this list of questions the other day. It's a list to help you to reflect on the past year. In all honestly, when I first read it, I was bored with it almost immediately and clicked it closed. It was too much work, really. It felt like an assignment, which I suppose it is, but I wasn't in the homework frame of mind.

But later on, as I sat on the floor stretching out my tight hamstrings and contemplating what I was going to write this evening, my eyes scanned all around me, lighting upon colours and textures and patterns, wondering if I could somehow integrate them into my yarn projects. "Dotted," "bricks," "rich," "wavy..." all kinds of words passed through my mind. And then I remembered this list, and specifically this item:
Pick three words to describe this past year.
There are plenty of words to describe my past year, but it got me thinking: If I can think of words to describe my past year, why don't I choose three words that I want the new year to be?

Words are really powerful to me. For me, once you choose your words, you have made an indelible impression on the world around you. You can't take them back, which is why I think people feel so bad about giving up on their New Year's Resolutions: they know they made a statement, and it feels wrong to backtrack on it once it's out there.

But maybe choosing three words for the New Year is a good way to remind yourself every day of what you want to aspire to. And you know, the word "aspiration" sounds way more attainable than "resolution."

Have I chosen my three words? Not all of them. But I'm thinking the first one is one that I'm still working on each week:

Inspired.

Let this New Year be one where I continue to be inspired, and where I continue to look for inspiration, even on a Monday.

Image generated at wordle.net

Comments