A Valentine's Day Cook-a-Thon

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. -- Virginia Woolf
 It's Valentine's Day, which, depending on your situation, is either the day of love or, as the guy on the radio put it, "Your next retail opportunity." Whatever your situation, it's a day to think about love, and to do nice things for the people you care about (which should also include yourself, by the way).

So, what'd I do today? Well, I did all the expected Valentine's Day things:

1) I went for a long run. Nothing says love like making your heart pump hard.

2) I went for a long walk with the hubby straight after. Hobbling should be done with people who care enough about you to make sure you get home safely.

3) When I got home, before I sat down, I made the traditional Valentine's Day Honey Lime Sweet Potato dish. Ok, it wasn't for Valentine's Day - it was for my lunches this week. But it has the word "honey" in it, so it's kinda Valentines-y.


4) I kept on cooking, because I knew that as soon as I sat down, I'd be stuck in that chair for a while. I made some Baked Falafels, because nothing says Valentine's Day like mushed up chick peas, onion, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and cilantro. That should be on a card.



5) While those were in the oven, I made some country-style biscuits. Well, not really. I opened the tube of dough from the store and put them on the tray and put them in the oven. Still, country-style biscuits are love... or maybe I just love biscuits...


6) Which went well with the Valentine's Day Tomato Soup I made for our lunch. It's red. It counts.


7) I did this while wearing my slippers and Valentine's Day sweatpants... which are kinda red...


8) All the while, I had some Valentine's Day ribs in the slow cooker... cuz your heart is inside your ribs. That's just basic biology.


And well, apart from that, I worked on my new sweater project, which started out as a lowly swatch which I knit over and over again to get a good enough gauge:


And is now looking like this, which I worked on while watching the latest Bond movie last night... which wasn't the best idea because I had a bunch of mistakes to fix this morning. I blame Daniel Craig personally.


I'm not really all that surprised that I spent a lot of time cooking today. I think I get that from my mom, because if there's anyone who makes sure you are fed well, it's her. And I think that we both believe that Virginia Woolf said... you can't really help other people if you haven't fed yourself well enough.

I hope you had a good day, whatever you celebrated. Here's to you and your heart inside your ribs, sweat pants, red-coloured food, warm bread, the ability to move around, and the good fortune to have people who care about you around you. Happy love day, everyone.

Comments